Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Democracy Sucks

If I promise to vote, will you please shut up?

This is something I found myself saying to a complete stranger today. I went to the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread. That's all I wanted. A woman I have never met before came up to me and started telling me all the wonders of Romney. She is obviously Romney's biggest fan, and that's just fine. I have nothing but admiration for people who are passionately committed to a cause. Unless, of course, they prevent me from buying a friggin' loaf of bread!

It all started out innocently enough. She was standing in front of the particular loaf of bread that I wanted, so I politely asked to get by so that I could get my bread and go. She, equally as politely, asked if I was planning to vote in the upcoming election. I am, in fact, planning to vote. Before I could tell her this, the woman launched into a VERY detailed explanation of why I shouldn't believe what those uninformed Democrats were saying- the bunch of hippies. They're apparently all about Commie-save-the-world-while-smoking-pot-and-free-love crap. Romney, on the other hand, knows what's good for this country. He knows that God only condones one type of marriage, that people who deserve health care are the ones who earn it through a good, honest job. Romney understands the American public and would be a good moral example for all of us. Plus, he's white.

At that point asked her, "If I promise to vote, will you please shut up?" She looked at me with her mouth open, completely shocked. Apparently what I said what so intolerably offensive. How very un-Republican of me. At least I'm white...

P.S. I have nothing against Republicans in general, just those who ambush me.

Another P.S. I'd have been equally offended by these remarks had they come from anyone else, regardless of race, gender, age, religion, country of origin, political affiliation or astrological sign.

A last P.S. I never did get that loaf of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment