Sunday, October 14, 2012

SMH

I received an email today from a friend of mine from college. We haven't talked in a while, but I know she's teaching English at a high school in Atlanta. It was nice to hear from her, but it took me about 20 minutes to decipher her message. Here's part of it:

Hey u-
Wat up? U bak in the US or stil over cs? If ur gona b in blo 4 xmas, let me no so we can get 2gethr?

While I might expect something like this in a text from one of my teen-aged cousins or a tweet, this was a rather lengthy email written by a 31 year old ENGLISH TEACHER. Is this what passes for acceptable in schools these days?

Am I too judgmental, over critical, just plain old? I guess I'll find out when I hear back from her. In the mean time, I should probably read up on how to spell with as few letters as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment